Middle East conflict live updates: Five patients die during outage in Nasser Hospital raid, Gaza officials say

Middle East conflict live updates: Five patients die during outage in Nasser Hospital raid, Gaza officials say

The Israeli military continued its raid on Nasser Hospital, the main hospital in southern Gaza’s Khan Younis, on Friday, calling it an operation to recover the bodies of hostages. The Gaza Health Ministry said five intensive care patients have died of a lack of oxygen during a power outage at the hospital and that the military was moving patients and entering buildings in the complex.

Skip to end of carousel

Hazem Bahlool, a doctor at Nasser Hospital, said at 7 a.m. local time Friday that the facility had been without water or electricity for more than three hours. The Israel Defense Forces said in a Thursday night update that it had not yet located any hostages in the hospital but had found weapons.

Egyptian and Israeli officials denied Friday that Palestinian refugees would be pushed out of Rafah and into Egypt. “The State of Israel has no intention of evacuating Palestinian civilians to Egypt,” Israel’s defense minister said. Satellite imagery obtained by The Post shows Egypt clearing and building a wall around a plot of land along its border with the Gaza Strip.

Ministers and diplomats from across the globe, including Vice President Harris and Secretary of State Antony Blinken, are attending the Munich Security Conference in Germany, where Israel’s plans for a potentially devastating ground assault on Rafah are expected to be discussed.

At least 28,775 people have been killed and 68,552 injured in Gaza since the war began, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. Israel estimates about 1,200 people were killed in Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack and says at least 234 of its troops have been killed since its offensive in Gaza began.

1/5

End of carousel

Skip to end of carousel

Hazem Bahlool, a doctor at Nasser Hospital, said at 7 a.m. local time Friday that the facility had been without water or electricity for more than three hours. The Israel Defense Forces said in a Thursday night update that it had not yet located any hostages in the hospital but had found weapons.

Egyptian and Israeli officials denied Friday that Palestinian refugees would be pushed out of Rafah and into Egypt. “The State of Israel has no intention of evacuating Palestinian civilians to Egypt,” Israel’s defense minister said. Satellite imagery obtained by The Post shows Egypt clearing and building a wall around a plot of land along its border with the Gaza Strip.

Ministers and diplomats from across the globe, including Vice President Harris and Secretary of State Antony Blinken, are attending the Munich Security Conference in Germany, where Israel’s plans for a potentially devastating ground assault on Rafah are expected to be discussed.

At least 28,775 people have been killed and 68,552 injured in Gaza since the war began, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. Israel estimates about 1,200 people were killed in Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack and says at least 234 of its troops have been killed since its offensive in Gaza began.

End of carousel

Live coverage contributors 19  » …
Read More

0 I like it
0 I don't like it